Friday, May 8, 2009

Bows, bows and more bows!

Ah. Bows. They are so darn cute on my itty bitty girlie. I've been spending the last few days making some in my free time. Thanks to Granny, the girls got some new outfits and I've been wanting some hair accessories to go with them. I love how the hair pretties often make the outfit. It's really too cute. I love the look.

I started bow making about 4 years ago. I bought a dvd after not being able to find any free instructions online. The dvd was ok, but way too basic. I enjoyed doing korkers the most, but wasn't impressed with how my (at the time) 2 year old could pull them apart.


So I eventually asked at a messageboard what were some good instructions and ended up getting TOTT (Tricks of the Trade) instructions off of Ebay. (You can also get them at YCMT or The Ribbon Retreat) They were extremely helpful, especially the videos. Ever since, I've enjoyed the tons of combinations I've been able to make. Some types I'm better at than others (you'll see later on in this post). I've been tempted to try other types of instructions, but really, so far TOTT has satisfied most of my bow needs.


I'm missing a few colors I need, especially for the Jungle Gem Gymboree line, I had to make do for now. I have no money in my paypal account at the moment, so it might be awhile before I get to make something to match that outfit. In the meantime, I purchased 'make your own ribbon' graphics from The Fairy Pixel for that line. You can see, further down in the post, how that turned out.

The zebra print bows are to match both Mod Zebra and Wild One Gymboree lines. They are my favorites, and they are the ones that turned out the best. Unfortunately they are the ones I didn't get a good picture of. Try taking a good picture of bows in a hyper 2 year old's hair. So the picture is a bit out of focus.


I also made these:


for the days we don't feel like bows or piggies or pony tails. These are no-slip clips. Perfect for holding back her wispy hair in front. She's been wearing no-slip clips since she was 4 months old. I love them.


Here are the 'oops' bows of the day:


They aren't quite as crooked as they look. (LOL yes I'm telling the truth) but they are a bit. For some reason, they came out the same - both are smaller on the same side. Strange. Definitely need more practice with that fold!! I also found it hard with these, and the giraffe print ones - I used the large ribbon size (1.5) for the knot. Let's just say I don't like doing it because it rarely works well, but I really wanted the middle to match and didn't have the matching 3/8.


These are the 'tails down' ones. I actually made them with no particular outfit in mind. These are symmetrical, but hard to tell here:






I love lavender. I remember when I first started making bows, it was impossible to find a nice lavender ribbon. Now RABOM carries this gorgeous color:



The giraffe prints are probably the biggest bows I've made in awhile. They are gorgeously poufy. I wish I'd have bought the 3/8" matching ribbon when I bought the 1.5". I wasn't thinking then, I guess. The middle knot was HARD with a big ribbon and thick bow.


These are SO cute with the TCP outfit I made them to go with. They match perfectly! I'll have to put a picture up of her with them both on.



The aqua bows, as well as the lavender, are really my absolute favorite style. It's easy to do, plus very frilly looking, and always comes out symmetrical. I did the same basic style with the TCP bows too, except I added a layer of spikes. If I ever consider selling bows, that would be the style I'd be most comfortable doing.


I just need to learn how to photograph bows better. I don't think I've ever gotten them to look as great in photos as the other bow makers do. I've thought about trying fabric stiffener, but I'm too scared to mess it up!
Okay, I'm so excited about this next thing: Make your own ribbon from The Fairy Pixel!!! This is seriously the coolest thing ever for someone like me. Being in Canada it's harder sometimes to get craft supplies to match things the best way (and I LOVE matching things exactly) but this way of making ribbon makes it match the Gymboree lines perfectly and all I need is readily available where I live. This was my first attempt:

Aren't the monkeys cute???? The only problem I had was that my 3/8 ribbon was too small for the 3/8 print, (I'll have to email and ask about that) so I used 5/8. Love how the 7/8 turned out. I also am no longer able to deny what I have suspected for so long....my iron doesn't get hot enough. The instructions for the transfer paper say 10-20 seconds. I literally pressed for a minute and it still didn't work every time. grrr. I knew when that darn iron was dropped and had a few pieces fall off it, it was probably not the same after. I can tell when I'm sewing too. *sigh* time to get a new one.


There's always a chance, too, that it was the transfer paper. I might try a different brand, but seriously, an iron is practially cheaper than the paper is.

I can't wait to try more of those 'make your own ribbon' ribbons. I also have more bows in the works, but not sure how quickly it will all come together. I'll have to show the end product of the new monkey ribbon!


Well the girls are back from the Hannah Montana movie so I must go!

No comments:

Post a Comment